Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First steps

Over the last three years I have not only failed to update this blog but I have failed to walk this path. That is shameful and short-sighted of me. The natural world and the changing seasons are what keep me sane, balanced and centred, and I need to keep reminding myself of that.
I was unsure how passable the track would be now with so few people using it, so I looped round and came onto it from the far end. The weak autumn sunshine shone this morning and the air was warm. However, after a summer of little sunshine and plenty of rain, the ground was very wet indeed underfoot.

The summer buzz had now gone and the walk was quiet. Harvest is just over and the landscape is changing fast as winter approaches.
The hedgerows are crowded with blackberries, haws, sloes and rosehips. I will remember to bring bags next time and return with some plump, succulent treasure for supper.

The track was over grown but as you can see from the picture below it is just passable if you can ignore the nettles and prickly bramble overhanging.

This morning was a first step. As I walk I know that my senses will start to sharpen once more and I will be able to describe the life around me.

No comments: